HOME > Journal
> Rules for Contributions
Contribution Provisions for Nihon Kokogaku
- Contribution qualification:
In principle, contributions are limited to the members of the Japanese Archaeological Association. However, a non-member may contribute with a recommendation from a member. This is the same with requested manuscripts.
- Types of manuscripts:
Theses, research notes, research trends, excavation reports and book reviews.
- Process for contribution:
A contributor must send the manuscript with a separately prepared submission form (as referred to hereinafter). Non-members must attach a recommendation letter from a member. The format of the recommendation letter is free.
The date the editorial committee receives a contributed manuscript will be the "receipt date." After the manuscript is received, a "notice of receipt" will be sent to the contributor.
All the manuscripts such as theses, research notes, and so on will be reviewed by multiple referees, and a decision to accept or to reject will be made by the editorial committee based on this evaluation. If it is decided to publish a manuscript, it will be considered "accepted" at this stage. Also, the publication date will be determined by the editorial committee.
3 copies of the journal and 50 offprints will be given free of charge to the first author. Any further copies and offprints have to be purchased.
As a general rule, reprinting of published article is not permitted for one year. Also, it is necessary to ask for permission from the Association in case of reprinting. However, these restrictions will not apply to abstracts of a thesis.
Submission Guidelines for Nihon Kokogaku
- Type and volume of manuscript:
The book size is A4 (210 mm × 297 mm) and two-column formatted ( 25 letters × 48 lines in Japanese).
As for the volume of the manuscript:
The decision on categorization of articles will ultimately be made by the editorial committee.
- Theses: about 16 pages (including figures and illustrations)
- Research notes: about 8 pages (including figures and illustrations)
- The manuscript should be submitted on a computer diskette or CD-ROM. They should be formatted as .doc or .rtf.
Illustrations and/or photographs should be prepared otherwise.
- Thesis abstracts:
For theses, an abstract in Japanese sized 44 letters × 20 lines or less should be prepared which will be published in the beginning of the main article. Also, an English abstract will be added at the end of the article so an abstract in English should be prepared as well. In creating an English abstract, common nouns that are special archaeological terminologies should be in italics. If an Japanese translation is not available, it will be taken care of by the editorial committee.
Theses and research notes should have keywords; Three items under studied period, studied region, and study subjects.
- Studied period: Jomon period
- Studied region: Eastern Japan
- Study subjects: settlememt structure and types
- All measurements should be expressed with abbreviated units such as cm, kg, m3, and Arabic numerals should be used for all quantities.
- List of works cited and endnotes:
- In-text notes should be numbered on the upper right side of the sentence, and listed collectively in the references section at the end of the article.
- In-text references should be noted as (Kobayashi 1988), and if cited pages are known it should be noted as (Kobayashi 1988, pp.25-26).
- The order of bibliographical references should be alphabetical regardless of language.
- Illustrations and photographs
- The maximum size of illustrations/photographs is:
- 232 mm lengthwise × 168 mm crosswise for one page (excluding caption)
- 232 mm lengthwise × 80 mm crosswise for vertically divided half page (ditto)
- Illustrations should be camera-ready copy or finished digital file.
- Layout papers will be sent to an author whose manuscript is accepted, so the author should send back a layout sample.
- All figures and tables should be properly accredited. The source should be noted with the title such as (Kobayashi 1988), and the material should be listed under references with other cited works. If they were created by the author, it is not necessary to mention it.
- All photographs should have good resolutions and properly accredited.
- Photographic prints and original drawings are preferable, but they may be submitted as digital files. Black-and-white photographs should be gray scale, 350 dpi or more, larger than the original size, and they should be saved on a CD-ROM as .tif.
For illustrations or figures, the data should be 1,200 dpi and saved on a CD-ROM as .ai or .eps, or 1-bit TIFF in case of bitmap. CAD format is not allowed.
- Contacts (organization, address of the organization or personal address) should be noted at the end of the manuscript (after the references).
- In submission of a manuscript, printout of articles and abstracts should be submitted along with a computer diskette or CD-ROM, mounted illustrations (if not in digital files), and layout samples.
Manuscript Submission Form: Elements
- Type of a manuscript: (Thesis, Research Note, or others)
- Title in Japanese:
- Studied period:
- Studied region:
- Study subjects:
- Manuscript (estimated total pages including texts and plates) :
- Contact address (organization is preferable) :
- Name (first author):
- Organization (professional affiliation):
- Postal address:
- Phone number:
- Fax number:
- Email address: